Conjunctions can connect words, clauses and complete sentences ( of the same type i.e. same part of speech and the same form) For example a noun is connected with a noun, an adjective with an adjective or a main sentence with another main sentence.
The following conjunctions are used to join words and clauses: og (and) and eller (or).
If the words to be connected are nouns for example, then both nouns are are either in the definite form or the indefinite form. For example .
- ( nouns in índefinte form ) Tog og busser benyttes til massetransport i Danmark (Trains and buses are used for mass transportation in Denmark.
- (nouns in definite form) Tag flaskerne og kopperne ind i stuen (take the bottles and the cups into the .living room).
If the words to be connected are verbs, then they have to be in the same tense. For example.
- Jeg spiser og drikker udenfor ( I eat and drink outside ).
- Jeg spiste og ventede udenfor (I ate and waited outside).
If the words to be connected are adjectives, then they have to be either in the e-form or the t-form . For example.
- (-e form ) Pigerne er smukke og dygtige ( the girls are are beautiful and smart )
- (-t form ) huset er stort og smukt ( The house is large and beautiful ).
Modal verbs are not repeated when two verbs in the indefinite form are are joined by a conjunction. For example.
Jeg vil rejse og slappe af ( I want to travel and relax ) and not Jeg vil rejse og vil slappe af ( I want to travel and want to relax ) .
The following conjunctions in the table below , are used to connect parts of a sentence of the same type.
|Conjunction in danish||Equivalent in English|
|Både …og||Both… and|
|Hverken …eller||Neither …nor|